Is 45 words per minute consider fast? What is the minimum or average typing speed required to get a secretarial job? To get a rough idea on how fast you type compare to the others, I have created this table, which is divided into 3 categories: kids, adults, and jobs. Do note that all of the information provided is based on my experience, reliable references from the internet, as well as some assumptions.
Average Typing Speed Per Minute of All Levels
|Category||Range (WPM)||Mean (WPM)||Character Per Minute (CPM)||Keystrokes Per Hour (KPH)|
|Slow||11 – 20||15||75||4500|
|Average||21 – 30||25||125||7500|
|Fast||31 – 40||35||175||10500|
|Slow/Beginner||26 – 35||30||150||9000|
|Intermediate/Average||36 – 45||40||200||12000|
|Fast/Advanced||46 – 65||55||275||16500|
|Very Fast||66 – 80||73||365||21900|
|Fastest in The World||–
|Jobs||Entry Level Clerk/Secretary||35 – 60||–
|Higher/Advanced Level Clerk/Secretary||60 – 80||–
|Data Entry||60 – 80||–
||8000 – 10000|
|Dispatch Position/Time Sensitive||80 – 95||–
1. In case if you don’t know how average typing speed is measured, here are some brief descriptions of WPM, CPM and KPH:
- Word Per Minute (WPM) is measured by calculating how many words (5 characters/keystrokes = 1 word) you can type in 1 minute.
- Character Per Minute (CPM) calculates how many characters are typed per minute. Compare to WPM, CPM is more accurate and takes shorter time to measure. (CPM = WPM x 5)
- Keystrokes Per Hour (KPH) is basically the same as CPM, but it is measured in hour. KPH is normally used to measure speed for data entry jobs as well as numeric entry. KPH provides a more accurate overview on how fast a person can type in long period, as it is not easy to maintain certain WPM/CPM in long hours. (KPH = CPM x 60 / WPM x 300)
2. CPM and KPH are not provided in jobs category as employers usually won’t ask for your CPM or KPH, except for data entry positions and some typing oriented jobs.
* The top typing speed was achieved by Stella Pajunas in 1946, whereas Mrs. Barbara Blackburn has averaged 150 wpm in 50 minutes and her top speed was 212 wpm. (Reference: History of Typewriters & WikiAnswers)
References and Useful Links: